Since I launched 1v1 Soccer FC in 2000 our vision has remained the same – to provide players in Canada with training experiences comparable to leading soccer nations.
Our players have attracted the interest of Sevilla (Spain), FC Porto (Portugal), Wolves (England), Crewe Alexandra (England) and Chievo Verona (Italy). Over 500+ players have gone through the process of attending our international player ID camps, travelling to train at professional academies overseas and attending formal trials.
Matt Roberts has subsequently went on to sign for the Swansea City Academy.
1v1 Soccer FC will be hosting a Player ID camp with academy coaches from English Premiership team West Ham United on April 28-30th – Learn More
Young players in Canada face challenges that they must overcome in order to compete with their counter-parts at academies in Europe:
1) Training Hours – After U12, the top academies in England have 12-15 hours/week contact time with players. Young players in North America typically have between 4.5-8hours/week
2) Quality of Coaching – in Spain there is 1 UEFA A or B licensed coach per every 27 youth players. In North America, we have 1 A or B licensed coach per every 800 + youth player
3) Game Understanding – as our players do not live in a ”soccer obsessed” culture, and see fewer professional games live they need to travel to Europe (or South America) in order to gain a greater understanding of the game at the highest levels
4) Technical skills – Our players continue to play too many games which negatively impacts the time that is being spent on developing technical skills. As Arsene Wenger famously said – a player’s level of technical skill will determine what level a young player ultimately plays at.
1v1 Soccer FC will be launching an academy program in Clarkson High School in the fall – this will provide Elite players (Boys & Girls) with an additional 10 hours training/week – Learn More
We have a proven four step process for young players in North America so that they can successfully compete with young players in Europe and challenge for opportunities there:
1) Supplement your team training so you can get closer to 10-12 hours /week
2) Select a highly-qualified performance coach to work with and/or take advantage of attending training opportunities with academy coaches from professional teams
3) Continue to work on your skills and earn an opportunity to train in Europe at some of the top academy programs so that you can get a complete understanding of the standards, the methodology to develop professional players, improve your game understanding and an opportunity to test yourself against academy players
4) Commit yourself to continuous improvement so that you earn opportunities for extended stays at a professional European club with game playing opportunities. This is an opportunity for you to demonstrate the full extent of your abilities in front on academy coaches at professional clubs.
We have been taking players to European Academy Programs for several years – read our training observations
At 1v1 Soccer FC we are happy to assist you as you move successfully through this four step process.
Please feel free to contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org to let me know your unique training requirements and to learn about some areas that we can provide assistance in. You ca learn more about my coaching philosophy and methodology at www.ianmcclurg.com